Senior Project Engineer
Date posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2018
Cascade Energy, founded in 1993, specializes in industrial energy efficiency. Our work reaches throughout the Pacific Northwest and across North America, with clients ranging in size from small up to Fortune 500 companies. We are proud of our reputation for stellar, high quality work. We foster and value a culture of equals, initiative, and ownership. Contribution in all areas is encouraged. Cascade has offices in Portland, Oregon; Eugene, Oregon; Issaquah, Washington; Walla Walla, Washington; Pleasant Grove, Utah; Meridian, Idaho; Park Ridge, Illinois; Saratoga Springs, New York; Pleasanton, California; and San Diego, California.
At Cascade Energy, we believe in better. We come to work every day with a drive for continuous improvement and we dedicate ourselves to making industrial energy efficiency happen in smart, measurable, and sustained ways. We are always thinking about new ways to make things happen and achieve results. We offer energy efficiency program design and implementation, energy efficiency engineering, energy management services and software, and hands-on training and coaching.
Our teams are a reflection of our core company values, which are: do the right thing; put others first; seek shared success; learn constantly; and be industrious. Our customers are vitally important to us, and we pride ourselves on stellar customer service. Our team members are ambassadors, representing Cascade Energy, striving to keep our values top of mind, working to ensure we are responsive, and consistently delighting our customers.
ABOUT THE POSITION
We are seeking a Senior Project Engineer with deep experience in industrial energy efficiency and a familiarity with the industrial segment in the greater Pacific Northwest area. The Senior Project Engineer works directly with our utility customer and industrial clients to perform outreach, conduct energy efficiency assessments, and identify opportunities for maximizing energy efficiency and performance in industrial systems.
Our Project Engineers take a consultative approach, gathering data, installing logging equipment, creating optimization models of industrial systems, and writing feasibility reports for energy efficiency projects, while leading overall management of projects. They work closely with our utility Demand Side Management (DSM) programs and consideration is given to candidates with a familiarity of these programs.
This full-time, exempt position is located in our Portland, Oregon office. Travel is approximately 20%. Most of the travel will be half-day to full-day site trips, initially to customers located in OR or WA, and expanding to nationwide as needed.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Provide overall management, direction, and accountability on assigned projects
- Engage with clients at their industrial locations to fully understand their equipment and operations, and to identify opportunities for energy efficiency
- Recruiting activities to promote DSM industrial energy efficiency program participation
- Conduct Excel-based energy modeling and optimization of industrial systems (refrigeration, compressed air, fans, pumps, etc.)
- Calculate energy savings for various system or equipment changes using existing calculation tools, original spreadsheets, and/or generally accepted engineering methodologies
- Document performance through data collection from customer sources or via installed data logging equipment
- Compose energy efficiency project reports based on analyses and observations
- Commission existing systems or newly installed efficiency projects to maximize energy performance
Successful candidates will possess a combination of both technical and interpersonal skills. First and foremost, we seek someone that exhibits all the characteristics of a “people person.” Additional qualifications needed for this role include:
- Exceptional critical thinking, problem solving, and decision-making capabilities including:
- Ability to quickly see opportunity and evaluate the quality of the energy efficiency opportunity (size and cost)
- Ability to apply the right level of engineering rigor based on the size of the project and potential savings
- Knowing when to get a second opinion and when to forge on with their own judgment
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment within an office setting
- Strong project management and organizational skills, with the ability to adeptly juggle multiple projects, customers, deadlines, and demands
- Strong analytical skills, with the ability to move from the “big picture” to smaller details quickly and easily
- Excellent verbal communication skills with ability to comfortably interact with both internal and external customers, along with stakeholders at multiple levels, to serve their needs
- Excellent written communication skills to author engineering reports for both highly technical and non-technical audiences
- Proactive, resourceful, and highly motivated to achieve project results
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- BS and/or MS in mechanical or chemical engineering or similar field
- 5+ years of experience with industrial energy efficiency or equivalent engineering
- Strong engineering analysis skills using MS Excel
- Technical expertise with the following industrial sub-systems: compressed air, process cooling, pumps and fans, industrial controls, steam systems, and data-logging of systems
- Project management of capital projects in an industrial setting
- Tune-up or industrial retro-commissioning experience
- Demand Side Management (DSM) program engineering experience
- Experience giving technical trainings to industrial customers
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Our total rewards include competitive pay and excellent benefits. These include health (90% paid for team member, 80% paid for dependents), vision, FSA or HSA options with an employer contribution, life insurance, short and long term disability insurance, 401k retirement plan with both a guaranteed 3% contribution and a profit sharing contribution, annual cash performance bonus, (8) paid holidays per year, paid vacation time, and paid sick time.
Our team enjoys a flexible work schedule in a professional yet casual environment in the historic Eastside Exchange building, surrounded by windows with great views. We are close to transit and provide a free, annual Tri-Met Pass, free parking in our lot, indoor bike storage, plus locker rooms with showers. Cascade promotes a healthy work-life balance, and appreciates employee contribution in all areas. We walk the talk about our commitment to learning constantly, with a focus on the ongoing development of every team member, and a tuition reimbursement program.
To apply, please submit an application via the Careers Page of our website. Applications cannot be considered unless a resume and cover letter (PDFs please!) describing what about our team or the position resonates with you, and how your experience makes you a great fit for the role, are included. Applicants moving forward in our search process will be required to take on Excel test, as well as submit writing samples. Professional references will be requested from finalists.
Please, no phone calls.
Please, no outside recruiters or agencies.
Cascade Energy is not able to provide sponsorship for work authorization in the U.S.
Career Center Home